Thursday, January 14, 2010

On Gratitude

One of my current personal goals is to express more gratitude and appreciation to those around me. I feel a great deal of gratitude for those who are in my life, but unfortunately, I'm often a bit stingier in my expression of it to others.

While learning to express more appreciation and be more positively reinforcing is a personal goal that's about making my life better and living closer to my values, its also about improving others' lives. I had a recent experience that brought this home to me. As an ACT trainer, I often feel unsure about whether my work makes a difference in the lives of those with whom I work. Totally out of the blue, one of my trainees sent me a me a Native American fetish, which was described on the materials as:




A fetish is an animal carving (usually from Zuni Pueblo and a tradition of all Pueblo People) that reminds us of specific qualities of a particular animal. By respecting that individual animal's "medicine" we may honor that quality in ourselves.





This little rabbit now sits on my desk in my home office and is a reminder that what I do makes a difference during those times that my mind says otherwise.

If you've been invited to come our dinners, its because either Jenna or I (or both) appreciate you and want to deepen our relationship. Are there people in your life you'd want to express appreciation to? What's stopping you from doing it today?

Peace,
Jason

No comments: