Wednesday, March 25, 2009

March Dinner on 12th menu


Mushroom dinner: From the simple to the decadent

Is it spring yet?!? Please? I keep hoping to see the first sweet peas or, dare I dream, fresh fava beans at the market. But alas, winter still is hanging on. So, we'll just go with it and work with what we've got. For dinner I'm highlighting our glorious local mushroom, from a simple peasant farro pie from Lucca (Torta Salata di Farro) to a very decadent potato gratin made with an incredible truffle butter I got last week at the opening weekend of the PSU farmer's market. And I still have a few stashes of huckleberries in our freezer from last season, saving them for a day like this when I really need a shot of summer. So, I think I'll bust those out too. Here is the tentative plan - unless of course those favas make an appearance in the next two days, then all bets are off!

Torta Salata di Farro with Mushrooms*
Truffled* Purple Potato* Gratin
Roasted Beet* and Carrots* on a Bed of Arugula*
Lemon Curd* and Huckleberry* Tart

* = locally grown

No comments: